Monday, April 11, 2011

Why Portland?

Since I've decided to move to Portland, Oregon, I keep getting asked the same questions.  First it's usually "Do you have a job there?" followed by "Do you have family there?"  The answers to both questions are "no".  Initially, I just told people I was moving to Portland without specifying what state, and some people had to ask "Maine?".  By far the worst question I was asked was "Did your husband get transferred?"  This person, who barely knew me, made the assumption that I was married and also that the only reason I would move would be if my husband got transferred.  But then again, this was the same person that also thought I had never heard of the band Arcade Fire. But many people may really be wondering "Why Portland?"  So in this first post of my first blog ever, I will try and explain. 

I have lived on Long Island for my whole life (28 years!), with the exception of 6 months that I lived at the John Bosch house in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn.  I enjoyed living in Brooklyn, with the exception of some of the craziness that went on in the house, but overall it was a good experience.  However, the more time I spend on Long Island, the more I realize it's not for me.  This is sort of a microcosm of the macrocosm, but I want to live somewhere where people actually acknowledge pedestrians and bicycles, and not try to run them over, even when they are in the crosswalk.  I also don't want to live (or work) somewhere where being vegan was not considered "normal".  I also want to have more space for myself, my partner, and our companion animals.  Everyone I know that has ever been to Portland has told me I would love it. 

Within the past few years, I've had several friends move out of NY.  Most recently, my wonderful chiropractor, Dr. Renee, moved to Maryland.  And another good friend, J-Ro, is moving to Austin shortly after I move.  So it's really not that unusual to pick up and move.  I think it's just maybe a little strange in my case because I have never been to Portland.  But the things (besides people) I will miss most from NY are Food Not Bombs, 3 Brothers, Cinema Arts Center, and roller derby.  All these things exist in Portland.  Well, not exactly, but pretty close.  There is Food Not Bombs and roller derby for sure, and many vegan restaurants (definitely more than in Lynbrook), and independent movie theaters.  Plus, a thriving craft scene, more microbreweries per capita than anywhere else in the world, and several radical info shops/cafes.  I think I will thrive in a place where all of these things that I enjoy also thrive.  So I hope that explains it.

No comments:

Post a Comment